Monday, September 10, 2012

A Vomiting Toddler

It's really sad when your baby is sick. I feel like my mind runs a thousand miles an hour. How did he get sick? I just replay the events of the day over and over and can't understand.

Oli woke up from his nap, crying. I usually just let him cry for a while after his nap to let him wind down. After about 5 minutes, I went into the room to peek inside. His crib was filled with vomit! Oh! It was so sad! He had it all over his hands, his arms, his face, and it looked like everything he ate for the last 2 days! It was so awful! My poor baby. I just hate when he's sick.

I quickly gave him a bath, hoping it would freshen him up. Nope. After his bath he threw up all over again. Cleaned him up again and after another 10 minutes he threw up again! So I just held him for about half an hour and stroked his head. Hopefully he'll fall asleep, I thought.

Nope! He threw up all over our bed. So I got rid of the pillow and the blanket he'd thrown up on. Then after calming down some more, he threw up again.

I was definitely not going to just let this pass. I knew people get judgmental and probably say I freak out way too easily but I don't care. When it comes to him, I will do whatever it takes to make him feel better.

I packed him up and quickly took off in my car and on the way to the doctor.

Nurse Lydia saw him at the Seaview Pediatrics in Aliso Viejo. She said to keep an eye on his fluids and check to see if he has tears when he cries, pees in between 6 to 8 hours, and can take down even small amounts of water. If he hasn't had any water in 48 hours then he would have to have an IV.

Last week, I purchased 2 gallons of water from Ralphs (also the Ralphs spring water brand) and today I noticed it say that the expiration date was August 9th. Oh my gosh! What if this water is what's making him sick? I can't think of what else it could really be. When he woke up, he was fine and had some milk, which is Earth's best formula mixed with water and milk. No, the milk wasn't expired. Then at about 9:30 am he had some weetabix with a banana and milk. He also had a biscuit in between. So what could it possibly be?

At home, he is laying perfectly still in bed. He's never been that way. He's never just laid in bed without fussing. If he's not fussing it's usually because he's asleep. My poor sweet baby.

0 comments:

Post a Comment